Monday, June 30, 2014

Over and Over Again

© Catherine Giordano 2014
by  Catherine Giordano

After doing well over 400 news print poems, I thought black out poems would be easy for me. 

Blackout poems are not easy for me! I have spent over two weeks trying to find text in the Orlando Sentinel to use. Today I found an interview with a restaurant owner and transformed it into a (sort of) love poem.

It took over two hours to "find" the poem in this text. A news print poem, once I have selected the text I am going to use, usually takes about 30 to 60 minutes. I didn't realize how lucky I was to do my first blackout poem so easily.  (CLICK HERE to see the poem.)

Blackout poets: I salute you. 

I wrote a web article about my experiences doing news print poetry. If you have a moment, take a glance at it.  It's


P.S.: If you are interested in learning to write poetry, I have recommended a couple of books on the lower left-hand side of this page.

2 comments:

  1. Richard B FredericksenJuly 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM

    Clever, but I think I will stick with my magnetic poetry kits. Greater vocabulary potential and you will not get your hands dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried magnetic poetry kits. Maybe that is next. Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to hear from readers.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.