Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympian's Hair

Hair.
Gabby Douglas 2012
Gabby Douglas 2012

Africa American hair.

Gabby Douglas
wins gold in gymnastics
in the Olympics,

but gets bullied
because of her hair.

The shame.
The taunts.

She's an athlete.
She's an Olympic hero.
She's not a beauty pageant contestant.

It's not fair.
It's just hair.


I'm not black, but I have thick curly hair more suitable for an Afro than a ponytail. In grade school, the bullies called me "Brillo." (It is still painful to remember this.)

I think Gabby Douglas, who is only 16 years old, is both a great athlete and a beautiful young woman. I think her hair style accentuates her beauty.

Don't change a thing, Gabby. Just be your wonderful beautiful self. 

© 2012 Catherine Giordano


2016 Update:  Gabby Douglas brings home gold in Rio in the 2016 Olympics. And they are still complaining about her hair. This time it is her edges--the un-straightened hair near the scalp. Some things never change. Gabby keeps winning, and small-minded people keep gabbing.


Gabby Douglas 2016
Gabby Douglas 2016


2 comments:

  1. Well said. And I just read that most of her critics were black women. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I hope all these insults from stupid women are not stealing her joy. She's not a beauty pageant contestent, but if she were, she's beautifyl enough to win. And wouldn't she wow the judges in the talent part of the competition.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.