Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Toast To Florida Rum

I found this picture at http://identitydesigned.com
August is National Rum Month.
Antigua, Barbados, Cuba,
Jamaica, Martinique, Venezuela,
Puerto Rico
… and Central Florida.

Bill McCoy,
a Prohibition-era rum-runner,
who hailed from Florida,
sailed a schooner
from the Bahamas
Enjoy a Taste of Florida: Rum and Key Lime
to Savannah, Georgia.

Pay real-time homage
at the annual Real McCoy
Bill McCoy Rum Festival
in Daytona Beach.

Today,
several Florida distillers
make artisan rums:
“Wicked Dolphin” in Cape Coral,
“Siesta Key” in Sarasota.


Ah, the demon rum.  When I was beach-bumming in the Caribbean (in my early 20’s), I used to love Mount Gay rum from Barbados.  Rum and Coke—30 cents a glass.

© 2012 Catherine Giordano


Please share by tweeting, "liking" on facebook, and "+1 ing." 
                Please ""follow" so you don't miss any of my poems.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.