Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sex is OK

Helen Gurley Brown
Click here for more Helen Gurley Brown

inspired women,
to go out and get
what they wanted,
including good sex.

She wrote a book,
about the single life,
Sex and the Single Girl,
an exuberant
mix of advice
and naughty girl talk.

The single woman,
the unmarried “girl”,
not an object of pity,
but sophisticated,
hip and sexy.
In other words,

“The Cosmo Girl.”


 I read “Sex and the Single Girl”, when I was an impressionable teenager and it was a big influence on me as it was on perhaps millions of other “girls.”

She said she wrote for the “mouseburger”, the average woman, but the models on the cover of the magazine she edited, “Cosmopolitan” were beautiful, glamorous, tarty-sexy.  In advertising, that is called ‘aspirational.”
 
Ms. Brown died at the age of 90 on August 13, 2012.


© 2012 Catherine Giordano

Please share this poem by tweeting, "liking" on facebook, and "+1 ing" 
Please "follow" so you don't miss any of my poems.


I found the picture at http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com

2 comments:

  1. consider this, what if you were to write
    a killer title? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your blog, but suppose you added something that grabbed people's attention?
    I mean "Sex is OK" is kinda vanilla. You ought to peek at Yahoo's front page and watch how they create article headlines to grab people to open the links. You might add a video or a related pic or two to get people interested about everything've got to say.
    Just my opinion, it could bring your posts a little livelier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that my titles are boring sometimes, but I have "rules" for news print poems. The title has to come from the headline. The words have to be lifted from the newstory. I take your point, tho. Perhaps I should have just entitled it "SEX"--that's a grabber. But maybe the understatement of "Sex is OK" gets attention too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.