Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Pileated Woodpecker

The other day
I heard a loud tap tap tap
Click Here for more adorable woodpecker toys

above me in an oak tree,
like a jackhammer.

I looked up.
There was a pileated woodpecker,
like the cartoon character
I grew up with as a kid.

A crow sized bird,
a memorable sight
zebra-striped head and neck,
Long bill, red crest.

It hopped around the tree
It continued to peck.


Being the “city girl” that I am I don’t think I have ever seen a woodpecker up-close and personal.

© 2012 Catherine Giordano


Please share by tweeting, "liking" on facebook, and "+1 ing". 
Please ""follow" so you don't miss any of my reviews.
 

An actual woodpecker from http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.