Saturday, April 14, 2012

Not Yet Begun to Fight

In the wilds of Montana,
five traumatically wounded veterans
search for a balm from war.

One young man lost an eye.
One young man lost a leg.
One young man lost his voice.

All have lost something
more precious—combat taints
your soul in large measure.

In the war on Terror,
you are asked to do
very violent things to people.

War is never really over
for those who fight, or
for those who love them.

The poignant documentary,
“Not Yet Begun to Fight”,
puts a face to war.

The mix of wild beauty
and ugly reality
is no accident.

The film is ultimately
about the loss of identity,
about struggle, and about
the resilience of the human spirit.



Please share this poem by tweeting, "liking" on facebook, and "+1 ing" on google circles.

Please "follow" so you don't miss any of my poems.


© 2012 Catherine Giordano


Last year on Memorial Day, I wrote a poem called “In Remembrance. I wasn’t satisfied with it and I wrote it last Sunday.  I was struck by the similarities in my poem and the news story about the documentary film, “Not Yet Begun to Fight.”  My second stanza is: “ All wars take a terrible toll/All wars poison the earth/All wars poison the human soul./Broken minds,  broken bodies, broken lives,/ Soldier or civilian,/No one survives whole."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to comment.